Kentucky Marital Property Division Attorney
Helping Couples Tackle Tough Property Division Issues
At the Gailor Law Office, PLLC, we understand the personal nature of any divorce. When a couple is faced with difficult property division, our compassionate, personalized legal services provide clarity and comfort. We are committed to bringing couples efficiently through the difficult legal issue of divorce so they can focus on the emotional needs of themselves and their children.
Do you need property division legal services?
Call our lawyers at 502-584-7217 or contact us directly online to schedule a free consultation.
Equitable Distribution of Property
Property division can be a very complex divorce issue. Whereas a 50/50 split of assets was once considered the most efficient way of dividing property, today things in Kentucky are much different.
In equitable distribution, many factors come into play when dividing property. To start, marital and non-marital property have to be distinguished:
- Marital property – Marital property is any property accrued during the marriage. This includes property gained individually and as a couple.
- Non-marital property – Non-marital property is any property accrued before the marriage, that has been kept exclusively in one spouse’s name. Other non-marital property may include gifts and inheritances.
Once property has been assessed, the courts consider the factors such as the following when making decisions about property division:
- Debts of each spouse
- Assets of each spouse (including bank accounts, 401k’s, retirement accounts, stocks, etc.)
- Prenuptial agreements
- Future financial needs of each spouse (including potential alimony)
- Each spouse’s earning potential
- Whether the couple has children (and the subsequent financial commitments)
Our lawyers assist couples dealing with the most complex of property settlements. We work efficiently towards a division that accurately reflects the financial situation of each spouse separately.
To schedule a free consultation with one of our family law attorneys, contact us online or call us at 502-584-7217.